Date: 19th March at 8:59 am
IMPORTANT INFORMATION/CHANGES REGARDING UK DRIVING LICENCES RELEASED, FRIDAY 15 MARCH 2019, BY THE PORTUGUESE GOVERNMENT/IMT.
1. British citizens resident in the UK, and holders of UK driving licences, can visit and drive IN PORTUGAL for up to 185 days WITHOUT an International Drivers Permit.
2. British citizens who move to Portugal permanently to become residents will have 90 days, from the day they become resident, to exchange their UK driving licence. Failure to do so will mean taking a driving test.
3. UK driving licences ALREADY registered at IMT will still be considered third country national driving licences and therefore will be subject to third country national rules and need to be exchanged.
4. The British Embassy confirmed with me this morning, EU (Portuguese) driving licences CAN be driven on in the UK. It is not known, at the moment, how long an EU driving licence can be used for when visiting and being driven on in the UK.
5. An EU (Portuguese) driving licence, can be used to drive in any EU Member State.